In Standard today
A few problems:
1) The GLA doesnt own the building, the government does it brought the land and rents it to the GLA
2) The Rent is a good deal for Londoners office rents elsewhere are likley to be higher
3) The GLA would need to pay a break clause
4) The government would be required to rent it out again at highest and best use.
5) Renting out the top floor is a nice little earner
5) It is not designed for housing, it has large atriums and a hall for meetings of the assembly such conversion would not be permitted by Southwalk or the London plan as it is a loss of a central london activity.
6) Rented office space wilnot provide an assembly space that will require a purpose designed or converted building, at great expense
7) It is an icon. I like housing for the homeless as much as anyone, but why stop there likes convert every bod in the London Eye to a night shelter bed.
Clearly mr Massow has not dones his research.