First time I have seen a proper terms of reference.
‘at our conference in September, Ed Miliband set out our commitment to build at least 200,000 new homes a year by 2020 – through a roadmap to support the private sector in building more homes, including more affordable homes, and a planning system that helps, not hinders, house-building.
In setting out our ambition, we have asked Sir Michael Lyons to lead a new housing commission to advise us on what needs to be done to achieve our goal.
The Independent Lyons commission will look at:
• How we can get much more residential land to market;
• What flexibilities could be granted to local authorities to they can build more affordable homes;
• How we can ensure that communities that want to expand but do not have the land on which to grant planning permission can do so;
• Whether the current planning gain system is fit for purpose;
• And whether land made available for development is being land-banked in a damaging way and how this can be prevented.
We will certainly want to hear your views on all of these issues.’